Friday, August 9, 2013

Aug 9, 2013


After getting up and realizing that not only were we still alone at the campground, but also we couldn't get into the bathrooms (leaving us wondering why we bothered putting the money in the slot), we packed up and headed to the nearest grocery store to get cleaned up and use their bathrooms. We then continued our drive through Missouri. It was still quite a drive to St. Louis, and we hit traffic once we got close that didn't let up until we got off the highway.

I decided to visit Schlafly Brewery after Joanna read me their beer list. I got a flight of six of their beers, and even snuck a taste of another one from our curmudgeonly bartender. Not a lot of them stood out to me, but the Vanilla Imperial Stout was quite good, and I thought Chuck would enjoy it. Also, a new growler was $12 dollars, which I double checked with the bartender because that is lunacy. Especially for a high alcohol beer like that. And the bottle. But it was true, and I left with my handle of new beer.


We headed up the road to Square One Brewery where I got a flight of four beers. I really love the style of this little place, and the beer ain't half bad either! It's actually fantastic. The Single Hot Red was really good, and the All Oat Lager was deceptively light (pictured above) and amazingly delicious. Of course the Maple Stout, which I got a growler of last time I visited, was also on my taster and it was still super amazingly great. After I finished drinking my samples and getting a souvenir glass, we headed out into the drizzling rain to continue east.

The traffic was a bit heavy as we left the St. Louis area, crossing the river into Illinois, and powered along I-70. It was another long drive into the night as we crossed Indiana, through Indianapolis, and finally into Ohio. Crossing the state line felt like we had gotten closer, but it was still a very long way to Columbus. We finally got there quite late and were greeted by my friend Harry at his apartment door. We talked briefly as we set up our sleeping bags on the futon-esque mattress couch thing. It was better than a futon is what I'm trying to say. We were both very tired and headed off to sleepy town straight away.

No comments: