Friday, August 2, 2013

Aug 2, 2013


We awoke in Zion National Park and headed to the visitor center to catch the bus up to our trailhead. The trail seems familiar still and it gets steep at the switchbacks. The ol' long trail to the Landing. It was hot as well, which helps. Any bit of shade we got was nice, like when we got inside the canyon and were shielded for a while.


Walters Wiggles didn't seem like as much of a struggle this time as I remember them being before. I guess that's a good thing. When we got to Scout Lookout everyone was there waiting, resting, or just hanging around. We had to jump ahead a little bit and take the outside path to get up faster. I always feel a little bad when I pass someone on the outside and then get to a part that tires me out. That motivates me to keep going though, because I know I can't stop in front of them now.


The view was wonderful of course. Probably the best view in the park. And it's a nice place to lie down and relax. We had some snacks and took photos. We also shot a video of me crawling up the steep incline being weird. It was fun.


Once we had hung out for a while and taken a lot of shots we headed back down quickly. When we got to the Wiggles we basically ran the rest of the way down. Or jogged. It was easier on the knees and legs to run with bent knees and step lightly. We had to pass a lot of people, some of whom did not understand the etiquette of moving the fuck over for someone behind you. We did the hike so quickly that when we got down we didn't know what to do. We decided to drive to Salt Lake City for some reason. It was a long drive and we had no real plan.


When we got there I tried to go to two different breweries, both of which were overcrowded and did not look like fun. Instead we went to Vertical Diner and had dinner. We went over to the Clark Planetarium and checked out all the free exhibits. They were pretty cool. There was a lot of information about meteors and planets and how clouds are formed. It was fun walking around checking out all the random stuff.

I stopped in at Epic Brewing, learning that to get a flight from them I had to buy dinner because of Utah laws. So I didn't try anything. I just bought a couple of bottles to take with me after I talked to the knowledgable and friendly guy working the retail area. We left and drove to a bunch of different areas, not finding anywhere we could actually camp. We were getting really tired and it was getting late and we finally found a Wal*Mart to park and sleep for the night.

No comments: