Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mar 9, 2014


We got up early this morning to spend our full day at Bretton Woods. This place was a little farther from the hotel, but still much closer than we expected. It's the biggest ski resort in New Hampshire, so we needed all the time we could get. It was a little chillier than yesterday but still very nice. The view was even better than yesterday somehow. We were much closer to Mount Washington and we could see it in great detail. I spent quite a bit of time just standing and looking at it.


Again, the trail conditions were perfect and there were virtually no lines at the lifts. Also, I was surprised at the black diamond trails and how they weren't overly difficult. They were steep, but I didn't see many moguls. They were all fun and Brenda was able to join us on all of them. There were a few pretty steep sections that I paused at for a moment before dropping in, but they were within my ability. We did one glade trail that was listed as blue. It wasn't too bad, but I wasn't interested in doing it again right away. 


One of our favorite trails was Granny's Grit/Herb's Secret (Granny's Grundle). It was a narrow trail covered with bumps, drops, and moguls that required sharp turns and a lot of leg work. We did it twice, and I wish we could have done it a few more times. We did a mostly straight diamond trail three times in a row and then headed back up to the top for a few more long runs down before ending the day with one last race run down which ended with a trail of moguls under the lifts that Ryan and I did extremely well. Another great day of skiing.


I wanted to check out The Cave, a pre-prohibition tavern underneath the Mt. Washington Hotel, but it didn't open until 9 so we couldn't do that. We headed back to the hotel to change and then headed out to get Thai food for dinner. I had spicy red curry that was exactly what I wanted and Brenda and I split a ginger fried ice cream that was really good but hard to eat.


When we got back we went down to the pool and swam for an hour or so before it was closed. Ryan and Bree didn't spend much time, so Brenda and I passed the time by swimming underwater as far as we could, talking about sea monsters, and trying to do backflips and handstands in the water without getting water in my nose. Not that easy. We got in the hot tub for a few minutes after swimming because you can't go the other way.


We went up to Ryan and Bree's room to play Cards Against Humanity next. It was a ridiculous game of hilarious statements. I left with things like "dick fingers" and "shooting a rifle in the air while balls deep in a hog" stuck in my head. We played for quite a while and weren't feeling like playing another long game so we called it a night there. I tried Peak Organic's Fresh Cut Pilsner, which was really refreshing and good company for games with friends. I was really tired and falling asleep as soon as we got back to the room.

No comments: