Friday, March 21, 2014

Mar 21, 2014


I worked at Memorial in a math class during the day. I didn't eat breakfast and I was very hungry, so of course I didn't have a break until about 1:30. But I got to leave early. Oh well. After work I made plans to meet Joanna at Stafford Woods DGC to give it a try. It finally has 18 holes and Scott keeps saying it's really good. We started on the back 9 to avoid a couple of groups starting and it was pretty sweet. Lots of leaves on the ground hid our discs pretty often, but the layout was nice.


There were some long holes. That was unexpected but nice. It was mostly in the woods, but there was one section in a large, open field. It works out to balance the course a bit. The hardest part was finding the baskets without maps on the back section. There was a hanging basket that was a lot of fun. I made like six putts in a row on it. The rest of the course is a really great layout. The front 9 is definitely more varied, but the whole thing is a lot of fun.


We got done just about in perfect time to head down to Brendan Byrne State Forest to meet up with Mike and Alison, the people leading the Meetup group for a Friday Night Fitness Hike. They do it every Friday night. We got there and I was surprised to see a bunch of other cars. We met everyone and then got to hiking into the setting sun down a wide path. There ended up being 9 of us, and we didn't use lights. Our eyes adjusted pretty well. 


I ended up talking to Mike for most of the hike about photography and hiking and marathon-running. They used to run marathons and now they do this kind of thing all the time. I hope I'm like them when I'm their age. They are in their 60s, by the way. It was a great experience, and we stopped once in a while to look at the stars and decide how much farther to go. We ended up doing about 9 miles. I really would like to do this again. Joanna and I set up the car to camp for the night and got settled in to the surprisingly cold night.

No comments: