Monday, March 10, 2014

Mar 10, 2014


We decided we wanted to get the most out of our last day before we headed home, so the plan was the get up early and get right on the slopes. Well, it took a little longer to get out of bed at first, and then once we got to Attitash and I was putting on my ski boots... well, I only got one on. It's always a pain in the ass getting them on, but not like this. I ended up walking to the lodge with one shoe on.


I took my boot to the rental shop where a nice guy asked me if I had left them in the car overnight. Yes, I had. And the cold shrinks them. He offered me a hairdryer to warm up the plastic. Sure enough, as soon as it had warmed up a bit it slipped right on. Amazing. A good trick for the future.


We finally got up out on the mountain and there was almost no one there! Mondays are great! We didn't wait in line for the lift all day. We did a bunch of trails on Attitash and then gave Bear Mountain another shot. We even found a little downhill trail to get to a lift so we avoided the long flat section. It was definitely less icy than on Saturday, so we did the bigger trails on that side before heading back.


We were basically able to do all of the trails at the resort over the course of the day and then a couple that we liked a second time. It was great. There were times on the lifts with no one in front of or behind us, and there were places where I stopped on the trail and it was just silent. I loved it. The weather was really nice again despite it being overcast all day. Brenda got a free lunch for some ladies only deal so we split the $10 and got grilled cheeses before leaving.


We walked around North Conway a bit when we got back, looking in some of the souvenir shops and gear stores for deals. I ended up finding a really cheap helmet on clearance so I'll finally have one of those! We went back to the hotel to shower and pack up our stuff before meeting up with Ryan and Bree to bid the Eastern Slope Inn adieu one last time before pointing the car toward home.


On the way home we stopped at Cracker Barrel for an awesome dinner of country foods. Brenda and I got into a pretty serious game of checkers. It had been so long since I played I didn't remember some of the basics. Once we got into it it was a battle to the death. We took a break to eat and then went back to our table, untouched. It was basically a draw, but Brenda gave in and let me win just so it could end. The rest of the drive home was long, long, long. Everyone was zoned out or sleeping most of the ride so I was listening to music or staring at the road in a hypnotized state. We finally made it home and I dropped everyone off before heading home myself.

No comments: