Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mar 6, 2014


I got started a little late but still pretty much when I wanted to leave for Lancaster. It was a long yet enjoyable drive for the most part. Podcasts make it go much more quickly. I got to Buchmiller DGC about ten minutes before we planned to meet there so I used the frozen porta potty and put my boots on.


Joanna got there shortly after I did and we got started on the course. It was completely covered in snow, which wasn't really so bad. The worst part was the tee pads were icy so it was hard to step up to drive. It was a fun course despite the inconvenience, and I didn't feel the snow was much of a detriment.


We weren't sure if we wanted to travel too far to play another course so we went downtown to The Seed, a vegan cafe, where I got an amazingly delicious reuben that I subbed seitan for tofu. I made the right choice. The soup wasn't too good, but I liked the place.


Next stop was Spring House Brewing of course. I finally got to try the Lil' Gruesome Peanut Butter & Jelly Stout. It was okay. I was underwhelmed by it, but I had a pint anyway. I prefer the Chocolate PB Stout.


We had plenty of time left so we went to Gallery Row to check out a handful of art galleries. A lot of local artists have great work on display here. There was no photography that I saw, but I did really enjoy the work of Freiman Stoltzfus, who did paintings over maps and music-inspired paintings. It was a nice collection.


We went to the Federal Taphouse to see what they might have, and I ended up being really surprised and excited to try a bunch of what they had on tap. They had almost 100 taps and an amazing selection.


I started with a Nut Roll brown ale by PBC. Fantastic. I had to have the Lief & Leed by Molen. It's a sour so it was great. Next I had the Koko Brown from Kona, and it was nice to actually be able to taste the coconut in this delicious brew. I finished with a couple of high alcohol beers, the Horn Dog Barleywine by Flying Dog and the Culmination by Long Trail. Both were very tasty and had me feeling pretty good.


We went back to the car to drop off our warm clothes and walked across the street to the venue. We didn't wait too long after going in for Fireworks to begin their set. They kicked off with a new song and then dove into a fast set of mostly Gospel tunes before ending with When We Stand on Each Other... It was a great set except for how extremely short it was.


The Wonder Years were next and the crowd went crazy. I was right up front but I dropped back so I could actually breathe and move by myself. After a few songs it calmed down, but everyone went nuts for almost every song. It was a great set, but they are one of those bands that will always have a great set and leave you still wanting more. I love those guys. Jen and Stephen happened to be there and we met up afterward to talk for a while as Stephen spoke with Nick for a while.

After that it was a long drive home listening to more podcasts and music. What a great day.

No comments: