Friday, March 3, 2017

Mar 3, 2017


I worked at Holly Heights for CST in the morning and spent very little time in classes. After the first two meetings I found out my pre-lunch and post-lunch meeting were canceled meaning I got to leave before noon and I was done for the day. I got a slightly early jump on departure to Baltimore, but not as much as I should have and I hit accident traffic. I still made it to the Baltimore Museum of Art with enough time to browse the contemporary galleries for a short time. My favorite exhibit was The Guerrilla Girls' "The Birth of Feminism." I wandered a bit more, but I really don't like the feeling of being rushed out of a museum. I need to give myself more time.


I went to Union Craft Brewing, which I realized I had been to once before when it was very busy. I did some half-pours to try the beers and chatted with the bartenders about beer laws. I also talked to a couple of guys who (I think) were pretending not to know the Hanson song "Mmmbop." I mean, who doesn't know that? They left shortly after and were replaced by a guy and girl who were really nice and we chatted for most of the next hour about skiing and places they should visit in Philly. The bartender also brought me over a sample of their regular barleywine and the bourbon barrel-aged version. The original was, ironically, too boozy for me, but the aged one was so smooth. It tasted like a great shot of bourbon. Those were not my favorites, however. The best beer I had was the Pajama Pants coffee stout. I had a glass of that and I finished with the tasty Duckpin IPA after a sip of my new friend's.


I got myself a parking spot right in front of Ottobar and headed in early enough to see Dryjacket's full set. They are fantastic live, and I think they could easily be one of my favorite new bands. I need to get their music. I talked to a guy who was in the crowd next to me so it was nice having someone there to chat with between bands. Empty Houses was up next and they were good, but they just weren't my kind of music. The singer could really belt though, and everyone seemed to be into it.


Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties were up next. They played full-band again this time, which I was very excited about after last year's solo show. They surprised me by opening with "'67 Cherry Red" instead of "Our Apartment." The set was all mixed up, which makes sense after playing almost all his previous shows in order. Now that people know this project he doesn't have to explain the whole story and play it out each time. He did play the full catalogue including both covers and finished with "You Ain't No Saint." It was a great night of singing loudly along with the crowd. I needed that release. The drive home afterward felt long, but not terrible. I listened to some podcasts which always helps the time go by.

No comments: