Friday, March 10, 2017

Mar 10, 2017


I started my morning driving through rain and traffic to get to the airport. It's a good thing I left early. Once I got on the plane I thought we were good to go, but we had to wait in line to get de-iced before we could take off. The whole flight I thought I was going to miss my connection. I got to the next gate in Charlotte just in time-- if they were leaving on time. It turned out that flight was delayed for mechanical work so I was fine. I got to Augusta a little late but without issue. 


My visit to the course for Insane Inflatable 5K went quickly and easily so I was able to grab some food and head right for the Hippodrome disc golf complex. I started out not loving the Old Glory course since the holes were not obviously laid out and there was a lot of artificial OB. A few holes in everything became much easier to follow and a lot more interesting. This hole that's sunken in the ground was one of my favorites.


I liked this hole on a hill too. There were a few holes that were hanging or hung up in a fun way. There was another drop-off island hole in the middle that was fun. One of the holes even had a bullpen fence around it. It was really weird and confusing, but good for them for finding novel ways to make unique shots.


Once I finished that course on hole 19, which features a bell tower with a basket hanging in it and a bell to ring when you finish. I started on the Hogback course right away to use as much daylight as I could. It was a much shorter and more traditional course with tight, wooded holes. It also featured this giant basket along the edge that you can see from the highway.


I liked this course as well, but after playing the first one I was in the mood for more unusual holes. Hogback does feature a lot of great terrain and risk/reward dropoff shots in the ravine. I put more than a couple discs down the sides of the steep ravine in this area. I was surprised that it was still light at 6:30 when I was finishing up. I think I made the most of the day.


The next stop was Savannah Brewing where I had to buy a little glass for $14 which I could get 6 pours in. Not too bad, but I wouldn't want to do it every time I went. The space is really great and open, with lots of tables and outdoor games. Everyone was really friendly and the pilsner and wheat beer were amazing. The other beers were just okay, but I think they have great potential. After my samples I went back to my hotel and got some things ready for the race then got myself to sleep at a reasonable time.

No comments: