Sunday, April 8, 2012

Apr 8, 2012

I started the day off with a run around the somewhat abandoned industrial area where the hotel was located. It was a nice run, but it started getting warm quickly. After a bit more working out and a shower we headed downtown in Kate's dad's convertible and saw the sights of Charleston. It seemed like a really nice town.

For lunch we made the long, slow drive to one of the outer islands and met the rest of her family at Rita's, a restaurant and bar right near the water. The chef is part of the family, hence the reason we went. The food was good and it was nice to have a beer and relax for a while.

After we got back from lunch Kate and I went back downtown by ourselves and walked around to check out some of the places we saw. It's a really nice city to walk. There was a street fair going on so we could walk on the street without worrying about traffic.

We were told to check out the market, where I saw the work of some really great photographers, but otherwise it just seemed like a glorified flea market; overcrowded and filled with souvenirs.

We had seen Southend Brewery go by a few times as we were driving so we stopped in while we were nearby and did a sampler. They had some really good stuff, including an unfiltered blonde ale with ginger and lemongrass. I really liked that one.

After a bit more walking around along the shore we headed back to the car. My overall impression of Charleston is much like that of so many other cities I've visited: I wouldn't mind coming back, but I wouldn't want to live there.

When we returned it was late and it was decided to go across the street to Buffalo Wild Wings for a small dinner. I had the fish tacos, which were really great with the Jamaican Jerk sauce, and a Duck Rabbit milk stout. All in all, quite a good day.. don't let my face fool you.

No comments: