Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Apr 4, 2012

Once again I got no calls for subbing so we decided to go somewhere. First we wanted to go to Dogfish Head, but their tours had sold out for the day already. We decided to head to Lancaster and wing it. So we went to Lancaster Brewing Co. first and got lunch.

The turkey dagwood was amazing, and their beer was fantastic. All of the styles were really good. My favorites are definitely the Amish Four Grain Ale, Fest Beer, and Billy's Bock. The Strawberry Wheat was much better than I remembered as well, and of course the Milk Stout and Double Chocolate Milk Stout were great. They even mixed the Milk with the Wheat and called it a Chocolate Covered Strawberry.

We went a few blocks down to the Tap House, where Spring House Brewing Company resides and puts on quite a show. Another solid brewery, their Peanut Butter Stout was fantastic. The Pineapple Pale was really interesting and good, and the 7 Gates is a great year-round beer.

Next up was the Iron Hill of Lancaster, where we sampled their 7 seasonals. The Pugilist was by far my favorite. English style beers have become my favorite recently. They also had an Oompa Loompa that was sweet and very tasty.

We headed out to Bird-In-Hand to Rumspringa Brewery next where we did a little wine tasting. They even had some mead! Some really good wines and we ended up going home with a bottle of Knight's Reserve (which they reserved the last bottle of for us..) We went upstairs to their brewery after that and sampled their five brews. The kolsch was my favorite of them and the stout was a close second.

Our final stop was Stoudts in Adamstown. I was underwhelmed with this place's selection. We sampled four beers, of which I only enjoyed two. The barleywine was probably the best. I was about ready to get going after that.

The drive home wasn't too bad, and after a stop to talk to Dave at Sidelines I came home and was about ready to get to sleep. Good times.

No comments: