Friday, March 30, 2012

Mar 30, 2012

The best job I could get was a half day so I had the morning to do some things that needed doing. Like getting my hair cut. The woman that cut it was so awkward and unfriendly though.

I went to the park for a run and tripped on a little stump in the first minute. Haven't had a skinned knee in a while. I ran five miles and stopped because I had to get to work. I substituted a fifth grade class. It was an easy day; they watched a movie, went to lunch, played on computers, and had art class.

I finished packing for the weekend and Kate picked me up and took me down to AC Convention Center for two days of Beer Fest! True, I'm working it, but it's still exciting.

The building is massive and was relatively empty of people when I got there. The vendors were setting up and putting out their signage and icing down the kegs. I got the lay of the land and then tried to get some pre-doors beer.

I got a couple of beers from nearby tables before the doors opened. I sipped them down and then did some video of everyone setting up.

The New Jersey Craft Beer table was right in the cluster of Jersey breweries, fittingly. We had a nice spot and some great neighbors. Carton's Milk Stout was pretty good and Cape May Brewery brought their Honey Porter. Oh, and how could I forget Turtle Stone Brewery from Vineland had a Chocolate Milk Stout. Yes.

Chuck came down with Brian using the tickets he won from NJCB and we began the great tasting. I really started slacking off on the photography when we started going around trying things. We did our best to hit up as many tables as possible.

Among my favorites of the night were definitely the Innis & Gunn Scottish Stout and Blue Point White IPA. Solid beers. There were a ton of other great beers I tried, including my first taste of mead, which is similar to wine, but they use honey instead of grapes. It has a really interesting taste and seems quite versatile.

The night was a blur and a success. I met some great people and tried more beers than I can count. The night fest finished its first session with Marky Ramone's band playing a set before they called last call and gave everyone the boot.

We all went to Vagabond for the NJCB after party with a special beer called SS NJCB brewed by Carton. It was strong and I was not in the mood for more beer, especially strong stuff. We sat at a table in the back and I ended up heading back to the hotel room early when Brian and Chuck were ready to leave.

No comments: