Friday, April 4, 2014

Apr 4, 2014


I worked as a floater at Vineland Memorial during the day, covering random classes all morning and managing to get out early. I went home and got some food before picking up Chuck to head to Atlantic City for the beer fest. Mike hooked us up with some tickets, but they weren't at the will call window when we got there. We went over to Tun Tavern and had a beer while we waited. The Berliner Weiss was fantastic and really funky. We went back over to the convention center and, after quite a bit of waiting and running around, we got our tickets and hopped in line.


The waiting didn't really slow us down as we got right in and started tasting. We went in order, which didn't really make sense because we weren't going to be able to make it the whole way around. A couple of my favorite that I tried were the Fort Collins Ashes, a smoky and balanced beer, and the Evil Genius Purple Monkey Peanut Butter Porter, which speaks for itself. There were a bunch of good beers of course, but the highlight for us was meeting Brian O'Halloran of Clerks fame at the NJCB booth! He was just there! We talked to him for a few minutes and got a photo before he disappeared into the crowd.


Fresh off being starstruck I went to see Saves the Day on the main stage while Chuck continued drinking. They opened with "All-Star Me" which I haven't heard them play in years. An awesome opener to a somewhat disappointing set. Only because they played a lot of newer songs that I'm not really into. And only disappointing because every time I've seen them it's been like a greatest hits of my personal favorite songs of theirs. To be fair, they did play 30 songs, including "A Drag in D Flat," "Sell My Old Clothes..," "Jessie..," "Can't Stay the Same," and "Firefly." So honestly, a pretty amazing set with some downtime songs. After they finished I found Chuck and wandered back to the car to head home.

No comments: