Friday, July 5, 2013

Jul 5, 2013



It was a restful night's sleep in the basement and I woke up wanting to get a shower while I could. Somehow I could not figure out how to use their shower, so I did the only thing I could: I bathed in the water using my hands to scoop it onto me. Whatever works. Joanna was lucky enough to have it explained to her later that the switch was up inside the faucet, which I have never seen before.


I offered to help Mitch attach some flower beds he built to his car and followed him over to the woman he built them for's house to help him get them down. It was an overall really nice experience. Mitch and Jo were amazingly generous hosts and supremely friendly people. I enjoyed helping with such a simple task as well. It made me feel good to be able to lighten even the smallest load to repay their kindness.


We went to a nearby gyro place and got some food to go. We ate some in the parking lot of Hidden Lake DGC, which we did have some trouble finding. The course was mostly in the woods, with some elevation on most holes. It was really tight most of the time so an errant shot had us searching for a while. The back nine opened up quite a bit, making for some interesting downhill shots.


The field shots were fun, but then we were back into the woods and then shooting over water. The swampy water area was rough because of the high grass and narrow openings to the baskets. I managed to stay out of the water, but I scratched my legs going through brush looking for my disc.


Granite City Brewery was a quick stop along our route. They seem like a bigger sports bar type of place, but the bartender was amazingly friendly and knew what she was talking about. I really enjoyed their beer, especially the lighter ones, so I was happily surprised.


After a bit more driving we got to our next course, either called Jamestown Reservoir or Island DGC, depending on where you look. The course actually does start on an island above the large reservoir. There were some great long open shots in the first several holes, then we got to some of the damaged area from flooding.


We had read that the course was damaged by flooding over the past months, and that was very evident when coming to a basket that had clearly been totally submerged not too long ago. There were dead fish all over the banks of the reservoir on both sides.


Another couple of baskets were still totally submerged. This basket was so far out that it's hard to imagine that it was dry land not too long ago. The course played pretty fun for the holes we could play. There was some water hazards that I think were intentional, but it's hard to tell at this point. The back of the course was very different and had some big elevation with a fun straight dropoff shot.


We finished out the course, which was very expansive, and got back on I-94 for a few hours before coming to a rest stop with a nice tree line behind it where we decided to set up the tent. Joanna's car really isn't made for sleeping so we decided to take a chance on camping. What's the worst that could happen?

No comments: