Monday, July 22, 2013

Jul 22, 2013


When we awoke, we headed back to the Redwoods trailheads and I went for a hike on the Miner's Trail that I did last year and Joanna stayed in the car to sleep some more. I really love this trail. It was empty and peaceful this early in the morning.


There's something about being surrounded by these trees that calms me in a way that I've never experienced before. I always look back on this hike from last year as one of my favorites of all time. I feel like I'm just walking in wonderment, looking up and being amazed all the time.


I also spotted this guy on a leaf and spent some time shooting photos of him. I didn't take the whole loop this time. I went a few miles in and came back on the same trail. It was still a really nice hike for the morning.


We stopped at a little town and got lunch at a place called Hey Juan Burritos. They were pretty decent. We called a private disc golf course to try to play it, but it would have taken too long so we headed south to Redwood Curtain disc golf course, which looked pretty awesome from the description online. Once we figured out where to park and how to get to the first hole it looked like it would live up to its description.


Just being in a redwood forest is amazing, but getting to play disc golf there is even better. After playing a couple of holes and being a little confused we ran into a guy that was just starting and he offered to show us the course. This was very helpful and a lot of fun. It's his local course (how lucky is he?) so he was pretty good at it.


There were really some well-crafted holes at this course, including a water hazard, some long drop-offs, and yes, even a tee pad on top of a redwood stump. Craziness. We had a great round and played a couple more holes with our friend before we decided to head out.


On our way continuing south, we made a quick stop at Ukiah Brewing. They had a beer called Navarro Yarrow, that is brewed with yarrow instead of hops. It was really interesting and light. It didn't have that full flavor, but it was still amazingly tasty. The Orr Springs IPA was also amazing. It was a quick stop and then we were back on the roads to the Marin Headlands, where we pulled up to a somewhat foggy scene at the Golden Gate Bridge. We walked up to the overlook and took some shots, but I wasn't really happy with the foot shots I got there. It was still a nice view, but it was cold and windy up there so we didn't stay long.


Next stop was a restaurant called Source. It was a pretty cool little place in an industrial neighborhood. Very hip-like. The food all looked fantastic. I ordered some buffalo wings as an appetizer because I feel like I have to always try them wherever I go. The food was really good as well, but slightly disappointed that the menu described it as being topped with pineapple, Sriracha, and teriyaki sauce, but what it meant was there was a sauce made with those three things. I was looking forward to pineapple chunks and Sriracha. No such luck. I ended up getting another dish because of the misunderstanding and taking home the leftovers from both. All good.


We went to a place off Haight where there is a supposedly awesome vegan ice cream shop. Apparently it's true because there was a line around the corner for it! We waited for a little bit, but when the line didn't move and there were literally 30-40 people in front of us, we decided it wasn't worth it. We took the highway west for a little while until we found a suitable Wal*Mart for sleeping.

No comments: