Sunday, July 28, 2013

Jul 28, 2013


When we got up I wanted to go for a run along the water so I snuck out and walked down to the docks. It was pretty busy even for the morning as I ran north, dodging pedestrians while checking out the sights all along the way. It was a beautiful morning to run and when I got near the airport I could watch the planes taking off and landing. I wouldn't mind having that as my daily routine. When I got done I showered and we picked up beer for Diana and Matt to thank them for letting us stay. We said our farewells and we headed back toward Los Angeles.


When we got back to LA we parked a couple of miles down the road and then biked to The Getty Center. We had to take a monorail up to the actual building. The grounds of this places are beautiful. There are big open fields to picnic on, leading to the sculpture garden. There are a bunch of buildings holding many styles of art from different periods. My favorite part was the photography exhibition, Japan's Modern Divide: The Photographs of Hiroshi Hamaya and Kansuke Yamamoto. It was a great story in photographs of Japan's culture. After we covered the grounds we headed back to our bikes and then to the car.


I wanted to stop at the Chinese Theater to shoot some photos on the Walk of Stars. I didn't really get what I wanted. I was hoping that I could show the stars all down the sidewalk with her feet in the shot, but I was too low to the ground with the angle so you can only really see the first one.


We met Kateri at Sage Vegan Bistro for dinner. I hadn't seen her in a very long time so we had a lot to chat about. She suggested things to do in LA and told us about her plans for traveling in the future. I wish I could do what she does. I wouldn't have thought to do an Antarctica trip, but I wouldn't say no to one either.


The food was fantastic at this place. The ravioli were so damn good, and my reuben was really tasty as well. I kinda wished I'd gotten the tuna melt just to see. Amidst all of the catching up and chowing down, we also got another birthday treat of two flavors of frozen yogurt. I liked the chocolate one a lot.


We headed to Mary's house where we planned to spend the night and carried our clothes and pillows for several blocks to the house. After we hung there for a little bit, she took us to the 1979 Public House to have a few beers and talk. It was cool little bar with a big beer list. I had an Allagash Black and tried a Green Flash IPA that I wished I had gotten. We went back to her place and hung out with her roommate and his date for the night, talking and joking for a while until everyone decided it was bedtime.


No comments: