Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Jul 17, 2013


Surviving the night at the house whose WiFi name was "Not a Crack House" after lying on the couch and trying to count the amount of different people I saw pass by and go out the door in the morning, we headed out to the food trucks a few blocks away. We waited for the vegan truck to open and ordered sandwiches. I ended up really liking Joanna's fish sandwich so we switched and I finished it. So good.


We hopped on our bikes and took to the streets of Portland. I love biking in this town. We rode down to the waterfront and planned out a tentative route around over the bridges. We went down the river, zig-zagging across the bridges back and forth along the nice paths made available. There were a couple of detours we had to follow that took us of the path, but we found our way.


Along the route we came upon a brewery called Hair of the Dog so I decided we should go in. It was a nice place for a break and some brews. The Little Dog and Blue Dot were both very good, and the Peach Fred from the Woodshed was amazing. It's a peach beer aged in a bourbon barrel. It was light and huge in flavor. After I finished my pretty-looking beers and had a few glasses of water we hopped back on the bikes and pedaled on.


There are just so many great little things to see as you cross the river. I love this sign, and if you turn the other way you can see Mount Hood. It's such a great town to exist in. I'd really like to live here someday.


We went down to a strip mall that had a lot of vegan stores, like a bakery, clothing store, and grocery. I got a big bottle of Sriracha because why not? I can use that forever on everything. After Joanna finished shopping and I had a chat with my mom on the phone we headed down to Deschutes Brewpub. I know this brewery by name, but not much by beer. Everything was pretty good, but I was really blown away by the Black Butte Porter. That's one I need to pick up again.


We biked to get pizza at a place that was recommended to us. It was pretty good, but not exactly what we had hoped for. We had to ride a bit back to the park. It was up a very large hill through the park, but we were able to cut some distance off by going this way. Once we got back to the car we went directly to Back to Eden for some ice cream. And it was awesome.


We went to McMenamin's Kennedy School, an old elementary school that was converted to be many things, including a movie theater filled with comfortable couches and chair. We got a great seat on a couch and settled in to watch The Internship, which was really funny. It helped that it was such a cool theater and that we had a couch to sit on. Pretty fantastic. I think I love McMenamin's.


We knew we had some time before the party was going to die down at the house we were staying at, so we went down to The Mash Tun, where I got a flight and we started playing billiards for free! The beers were good (especially the Mild Ale) and the pool was great. The jukebox was also open to play for free so we put on some good tunes from Garden State while we played. We ended up playing pool with people we met instead of passing the table back and forth. They were really nice and it was cool talking to other people.

As the party was still not over, we went to The Bye and Bye to pick up food. I got a meatball sub that was sooo delicious. We took the food back to in front of the house to eat our food and watch some Breaking Bad while we waited for the insanity to die down. Once it did that somewhat we went inside and got our couches ready while people still wandered around at the end of the party. Someone almost pitched a mattress on the floor right next to the couches, but after I suggested that I might step on him he angrily moved away. It was strange, but we eventually got to sleep very late.

No comments: