Thursday, November 21, 2013

Nov 21, 2013


I worked for the other music teacher at Lakeside today, which meant I had one class for forty minutes and free time for the rest of the day. Nothing like earning what they pay me. The day went by surprisingly fast for having so much down time. I updated a bunch and went through photos. I cleaned out my car a bit to get ready to sleep in later, and after work I packed all my stuff up and was ready to go. I met Ryan at the gym for a medley of exercises and an unusually funny and awkward visit. There were just strange things happening, we had to move around a lot, and there was a girl being totally oblivious to us and everything else around her.


I went up to Grindcore House and had a chai latte while I awaited Joanna's arrival. When she got there we exchanged our photos from the past six months and looked through some of them. We did a lot in the past few months. You don't really notice until you look back at all the photos. We then looked up directions and disc golf courses near where we plan to hike tomorrow before we got kicked out because the coffee shop was closing.

We went over to Union Transfer and had our tickets scanned to get in by none other than Joe from The Early November. I didn't say anything so as not to be weird, but I wanted to geek out a little. Shortly after that we saw Kenny from The Starting Line in the crowd jamming out to Now, Now, who were really good, airy, fun music. We ran into Kat from Rowan in the lobby and had a nice, if awkward, reunion conversation. It was nice to see her, I just found myself looking around the room in a cliche uncomfortable manner because I wasn't sure what to say.


The room was surprisingly empty before Kevin Devine came on, but there were enough people to scream along with "Cotton Crush." That would be the only original song he played that I knew very well. A few songs I know I had heard, but he played a lot of songs from the new album that I haven't listened to. The "encore" was a ten minute medley of random cover songs from "Sweet Child of Mine" to "El Scorcho," and "Stan" by Eminem. I was really impressed with his rapping that last one. It was hilarious and wonderful watching them have fun on stage. He finished the night with a few songs by himself. I have to say I much prefer him solo than with the band, but he is awesome any way you can get him, very funny, humble, and just a seemingly cool dude. It was a great show.

We hit the road after the show and left Joanna's car at a Wawa in Chester, PA before continuing west and finding our sleeping spot for the night: a Wal*Mart parking lot. And it was actually dark there. Score.

No comments: